Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Create Account  

External Storage Health

Hello all experts. i am facing a big problem today. i have 1TB external Storage USB Drive. and today when i put them into my office PC to copy some very important data. they will stuck and freeze alot. i try to use Hard Disk Sentinel PRO v5.30 application software to check my storage health it will shown 12% and Note with " backup your all data because your drive health is too low" and will be dead soon.  i don't have enough money to buy new one. i need your help to improve storage health. i try to open it to check any cable loosing issue and see it is just looks like a laptop HDD.

(01-29-2019, 04:49 AM)Sagher Wrote: Hello all experts. i am facing a big problem today. i have 1TB external Storage USB Drive. and today when i put them into my office PC to copy some very important data. they will stuck and freeze alot. i try to use Hard Disk Sentinel PRO v5.30 application software to check my storage health it will shown 12% and Note with " backup your all data because your drive health is too low" and will be dead soon.  i don't have enough money to buy new one. i need your help to improve storage health. i try to open it to check any cable loosing issue and see it is just looks like a laptop HDD.

You can't magically make the hardware 'better' like a doctor. The symptoms you are facing are end of life symptoms. Either sectors have gone bad in the case of a spinning drive or cells have gone bad in the case of flash. You do not have a choice. If you can't afford a new drive you will not have a drive soon, because it will be dead. Take this seriously and backup all your data now.

I do backup by connecting many times again and again but success at the end. i just need a favor to recommend any HDD doctor tools or fragment tool to make it breath again.

(01-30-2019, 05:29 AM)Sagher Wrote: I do backup by connecting many times again and again but success at the end. i just need a favor to recommend any HDD doctor tools or fragment tool to make it breath again.

Once again, there is no magic tool for your symptoms. I don't know how much clearer I can be. Fragmentation is not your problem.

You cannot fix a hardware defect with software. Broken hardware will stay broken hardware. No software can solve the issue. Even if you would have a few dead sectors and you build unused space around this dead sectors... THIS IS NOT FIXING broken hardware. It is just a workaround that enables you to avoid writing/read from dead sectors.

With such a low health rate you can even forget this workaround. It's absolutely pointless. Buy a new drive.

(01-29-2019, 04:49 AM)Sagher Wrote: Hello all experts. i am facing a big problem today. i have 1TB external Storage USB Drive. and today when i put them into my office PC to copy some very important data. they will stuck and freeze alot. i try to use Hard Disk Sentinel PRO v5.30 application software to check my storage health it will shown 12% and Note with " backup your all data because your drive health is too low" and will be dead soon.  i don't have enough money to buy new one. i need your help to improve storage health. i try to open it to check any cable loosing issue and see it is just looks like a laptop HDD.

@Sagher.  Is it a new hard drive?  As if it is, I'd take it back to where you bought it from.  See if you can exchange it.  Or at least bring it to your attention and see how they can help you.

@deanhills Its new but not really. because the warranty period is ended. i only test it with a 3rd party software application as discussed. but after coreyman remarks i stopped hoping and thrown it into my old used things drawer.

(02-11-2019, 12:56 AM)Sagher Wrote: @deanhills Its new but not really. because the warranty period is ended. i only test it with a 3rd party software application as discussed. but after coreyman remarks i stopped hoping and thrown it into my old used things drawer.
That's too bad. With your feedback and also Hidden Refuge at post4vps, I think it's time for me to start new external disks as I get it that the life of external hard disks may be limited to 3 years and more if lucky.  I had an experience like that too at work a couple or more years ago when a really expensive external Maxtor had corrupted and we'd lost all of the info on it - that was after 3 years.  I purchased new external disks on special in the UAE when I was there in January.  So now it's just getting down to loading my backups.  I usually have two backups on two external disks.  One is a backup of the other.  I try to keep them in different places, but aren't always good with that. I also have third and fourth backups on sizable flash disks but with a different selection of backup files.  I'm a bit neurotic about backups and old fashioned with hard disks, preferring them over the cloud.

@deanhills Yes it is bitter truth that most of the asian 3rd world countries faced. specially here in Pakistan china sold use most devalue things low cost but poor in quality. i remember once i buy my first external storage from china brand. and after few months the speed is like dead slow. i finally make decision to open it. and i wonder to see the main board which convert SATA into USB was just like burn with over heat. converter chip is just poor i ever saw. and copper print is almost crack from PCB. so i put off HDD and set it into my mini notebook. because it's 500GB drive and very rear and expensive those days.