Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HOW TO GET A DESKTOP ENVIRONMENT ON LINUX VPS
DESKTOP ENVIRONMENT ON LINUX VPS

END RESULT
[Image: 5253534555_6730513703_b.jpg]

Before we start, many of you might be thinking that this required huge amount of ram and VPS resources, but let me tell you that it uses no more then like 40mb RAM tops, but can be tweaked to only 10-20mb I think. So it is a great way to have windows-like desktop environment on on low end VPS. It will run great on 256mb ram VPSs

It would be great if the linux vps has a newly installed operating system such as Ubuntu, however it isn't required. Clean and latest Linux VPS would provide better functioning, that's it.

Make sure you login as root, while executing the following commands.

1. Updating the apt-get system, usually gets done in under 30 seconds.
Code:
apt-get update

2. Upgrading the apt-get system, might take upto 20-30 minutes depending on the resources. You may be asked to press Y for yes, and press enter.
Code:
apt-get upgrade

3. Upgrading the apt-get distribution system, usually takes about 20-30 seconds.
Code:
apt-get dist-upgrade

4. Installing X, LXDE, VPN programs, might take upto 20-30 minutes, but is worth the wait. You may be asked to press Y for yes, and press enter.
Code:
apt-get install xorg lxde-core tightvncserver

5. If you were successful in running the above command, most likely the VNC server is installed. Now we'll start it. Using this command
Code:
tightvncserver :1
It will ask you for a password, type in any password you want when you login to your desktop, it will be asked for. It will ask you to retype the password for verification, type your pass again. When it asks "Do you want a view-only pass, type in n and press enter"

[Image: 1fU61ih.jpg]

6. We'll close the vnc server process so we can edit its configuration file a bit. Kill the process of vnc server using this command.
Code:
tightvncserver -kill :1

7. To edit the file, we need Nano which is the file editor for linux, it is usually auto-installed, but if it isn't run the following command.
Code:
apt-get install nano

8. Now we will edit config file to start session with LXDE: It will look like this
Code:
nano ~/.vnc/xstartup
[Image: y4LYY9d.jpg]

9. Add the following lines to the config file we just opened, so it will look like this now. After doing so, press Ctrl + X, and then type Y and then press enter.
Code:
lxterminal &
/usr/bin/lxsession -s LXDE &

[Image: wQlZykJ.jpg]

10. We have now successfully installed the VNC Server, we may run it again using this command.
Code:
tightvncserver :1

11. Now we need to download the VNC Client to our PC, from which we will open our linux vps desktop. You may download it from the following link, according to your PC.

12. After downloading, install the TightVNC Client and open it up, it will look like this. In the remote host area, type in your VPS IP followed by :1
yourip:1
[Image: 2J3ZEQd.jpg]

13. Now click on connect, and it will show a box asking for password, type in the same password, as we used earlier in the installation. Type in the password, and click on okay.

We have now successfully installed our VPS, and after clicking on okay, our very own desktop linux will open up.

This tutorial is one hundred percent written by me, I may have shared this on other communities so I thought I  would post it here, so others can find this useful..
A couple notes from me (I've worked with it some years ago):

1. Even if you have very good internet connection both VPS side and client side, you'll notice the slowness in almost every graphical change on the desktop. Especially, if the client is on your android phone (an often practice). It's very annoying. It's due to poor traffic compression between server and client with VNC protocol. It was designed for using inside local networks only. Not via internet. If you want to get better responsibility, try to use NX schema instead. There are some implementations of free NX-servers (like FreeNX), but it's the reason to write the another tutorial.

2. As I see, you start X environment with root account, as well as any other programs will be launched with root too. Keep in mind that it's not good for security reasons. Moreover, some graphic programs are restricted to be launced with root. For example, the mediaplayer VLC. So you need to create the specific user with less privileges first. May be tightvncserver has easy options for it... Anyway, it's the question must be answered.
I have used FreeNX for a few years, but it didn't work on 14.04 last year when I needed it. FreeNX needs much manual tweaking on the server side to work, which Is something as a rookie I don't like. I was an happy user of FreeNX. but I switched to TightVNC. Like all remote desktops, video isn't great, but audio does work well. However, VNC uses less ram and resources and I believe that it is a good desktop software for low-end VPSs. I'm definitely not a professional in this field, While this may be a viable option for others, VNC has a few drawbacks but it is suitable for youngsters who are new in this field. I do appreciate your notes, I will definitely switch to another more speedy, and suitable software, and will surely write another tutorial on this. Smile)

I'd like to remote access a desktop of a specific user and not a root desktop; however when I run the vncserver it always produces a rooted desktop. I know it possesses security threats, but I assume that VNC requires root access to run? It will not start using another user account. I will definitely keep this in mind, in finding a more secure desktop environment.

Thanks for such a thorough explanation, I really appreciate this. Thank you soo much.

-Scarface.
I suppose the difficulties had appeared on Ubuntu 14.04 what uses the special DE (Desktop Environment), not even pure Gnome 3 (that I hate as well). Others (like xfce and lxde) required some more tweaks. So called "rootless mode" (only application, not overall DE) worked well. I used the improved version of FreeNX - RX Etersoft: http://etersoft.ru/products/rx . It's russian project and not freeware, so it's not simply to intend it. But it works better.

About the root-nonroot accounts. I think VNC server has the ability to launch the DE with specific nonroot user. It's the matter of the settings. Later I'll investigate this question as well as test the rendering delay for sure. May be it's me become too old and slow, not VNC !
Thanks for this tutorial! I've used Ubuntu as an everyday OS, but when I tried to use VPS with Ubuntu I was complete noob if we talk about advanced terminal commands. So, with this tutorial I was able to make things easy for me and finally start using the VPS.