Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
[Beginner] 3 Things you have to do before you use your VPS!
This thread is really worth to read.
I'll get my own VPS as soon as possible yeah!
Thanks, That helped out a lot. I got stuck in really annoying limitations when I was in a shared hosting, I don't even have a proper dns editor in the cpanel. I was stuck with Vista Panel, the worst panel that I've ever tried.
First thing I do is to change the password I'm given to a really secure one. Some recommend one creates keys, but maybe creating keys may not be as comfortable for beginners.
Second thing I do - is to update all of the packages that came with the OS
Third thing I do is to load a security focused panel like VestaCP or Webuzo. Both have Firewall protection and DDoS included and both are very meticulously attended by their Admin. Both have a good support Forum that has a fast turnaround in answers to inquiries. Webuzo is probably better for beginners as VestaCP doesn't come with as much support as Webuzo does. Once one is more experienced though VestaCP is the better of the two.
(09-22-2016, 12:39 PM)KyoroLive Wrote: Hey Guys! Wink

This is an Thread for beginners with Linux or VPS's. But first what is an VPS?
virtual private server (VPS) is a virtual machine sold as a service by an Internet hosting service. " ~Wikipedia.org

Now what did you can do with that VPS? Everything! Its a bit like an Computer but
withput any GUI or something like this you work in an simple Shell from Linux.
You can setup the following things on an Linux VPS: (not all)
-> Ubuntu
-> Debian
-> CentOS
-> etc.

Where i can host an VPS? Here or at an Hosting Company. There you can
use anything you want. But now what did you have to do if you first get your
server?

1. apt -get update
2. apt -get upgrade
3. Setup FTP, Phpmyadmin etc.

These all things are linked here for you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2ccsmomCs4
-> English YouTube Tutorial.

Text Tutorial

When you first learn how to set up a VPS, you’ll probably be confused by all the different accounts, passwords and everything.
Put it this way: when you’re setting up a VPS, there are multiple levels. First, there’s the hosting company’s account. Then there’s the WHM (top-level) account. Then there’s the cPanel (second level) accounts.

Getting started
Using the GoDaddy example (since that’s where I’m hosted), the first time you launch your VPS – in other words when you ask them to do the basic setup for you – you’ll be asked for a hostnameusername andpassword.
  • Your hostname can be anything you want, really. For example, this site’s VPS could be called myvps.setupmyvps.com or helpme.setupmyvps.com or chickenlegs.setupmyvps.com – or anything else that takes our fancy. Obviously it’s best to choose something that sounds cool.

• Your username and password will be used to access the hosting company’s stats and server info. The username isn’t normally used on the server itself but the password is.
Confusing? Yes. Learning how to set up a VPS is very confusing!
Once you’ve chosen a hostname, username and password, your hosting company will do the basics to setup a VPS for you – this usually takes a while (like 12 hours or so), though in slack periods it can be ready a lot quicker. You’ll get email confirmations of everything, usually along with a little user guide.
Your empty VPS is ready
Once your VPS is ready, you’ll need to log in using WHM. To do this, you’ll use the username “root” and the password you defined above. You use “root” as the login because, when you’re setting up a VPS, you need to be logged in at the highest possible system level… and that’s always called “root” (at least on normal servers it is).
Your hosting company will have sent you info on where to find WHM. In most cases, it’s on ports 2086 and 2087. You’ll need the VPS IP address (which will be in your notification email): for example, if your server’s IP address is 188.77.66.55, you’d type this into your browser’s address bar:
http://188.77.66.55:2087
You’ll see a WHM login screen. Enter the username “root” and the password you chose when you set the hostname.
WHM Login
Since this is the first time you’ve logged in, WHM will run a wizard to help you set up. You’ll need to agree to the license agreement (yawn), then choose your contact details. Make sure you enter a reliable email address: this is where any warnings and notifications will go, so you need to make sure you get them!
You’ll also need to enter the Main Shared Virtual Host IP. Although it sounds scary, it’s just the same IP address you entered to get to the WHM login (188.77.66.55 in our example).
The hostname section needs a domain name. You don’t always have to change this (most companies set it to something unique) but, if you want to, set it to a domain you own, e.g. setupmyvps.com
The next bit is nameservers. You need two of these and the standard approach when setting up a VPS is to call them ns1 and ns2 (imaginative, huh?). So in the example, they’d be ns1.setupmyvps.com and ns2.setupmyvps.com. Don’t worry about how you register these so that the Internet knows where to find them – we’ll cover stuff like that in how to set up a VPS with a new domain name.
Next, you just hit “Save”, skip through the quota page (without waiting for it to finish), mark “Enable Nameserver” on the next page (on the right) and keep clicking through until you get to the MySQL root password bit. You’ll need to enter a password there before finishing.
Ready to roll!
And that’s it. Setting up a VPS – at least the basics – is not incredibly difficult as long as you don’t fret too much and use your head a bit. Make sure you write down all the usernames, passwords, server names and stuff for later reference and you’ll be fine. http://www.setupmyvps.com/

If you need any Help or informations about VPSs pm me or write here in the Thread! Smile

I just wanted to mention that you don't need to set up FTP as running FTP wastes resources.  You can connect with SFTP and transfer files over ssh. 
To log into SFTP, you need Filezilla or something like that.  To log in, just type sftp://<VPS IP Here>.  Then you need to enter the username and password.  If it isn't on the default ssh port, you'll need to enter that as well.  Once your all set, just hit Quickconnect if this is filezilla or however you can connect in your SFTP program.
I suggest setting up iptables before installing anything also, this is not really what everyone HAS to do because not all people need FTP and PhpMyAdmin on their server. You have to take note also if the people here are after website hosting there are a ton of free webhosting where you don't have to deal with the initial setup of the softwares you need. I think most people who want's a VPS do something more than just simple webhosting on their Servers. Just an opinion though