Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How long does it take you to finish a site?
(06-10-2016, 01:49 PM)opti Wrote: How long does it take you to design and create a logo, banner or photoshop layout on a site?

I've been a programmer for a long time, web applications mostly but I have had a designer do the art work and layout for me about 80% of the time and the other piece I was either told what to put there, or used simplistic layouts with little graphics.
I'm now getting into designing my own custom sites and working with an ecommerce site of my own. I want to do my own design but I work a full time job. The reason I state all this, is because it took me roughly 4 hours to do one banner from start (idea) to finish (creation).
This seems like a really long time to me, especially since I can whip out an enormous amount of code in that same time, probably solve an entire large rated bug or do maintenance on another site. How long does it take you guys? Does it get faster? Is that about average?
Also, while spending a minimal amount of money, is it easy to get tools that would help me spin things out faster?
I'm not looking to design anything fancy, this was just a banner with a stock image in the back, a company logo that I framed with a border, another image I cut and smoothed the edges out on and a "ribbon" in the corner that had some "discount" text on it. The image is about 450x170. 4 hours, no drawing or sketching of my own except the lines for the ribbon.

TL;DR
4 hours
Good? Bad? Average?
Will it speed up? Are there tools to speed it up? Should I just save my time and pay someone else?

1 day in general if you have to setup vps or hosting zone
I find 4 hours super fast.  I've attempted to do banners at one stage and am a total novice at it all and found it takes hours and hours of my time and at least a few versions before I'm happy with the final product.

I'm curious though.  Why do you want to do the design yourself?  Wouldn't it be better to get a dedicated graphics designer to do it for you.  I'm sure you know of the fiverr Website that provides a wealth of talented people and if you can find one that you can work with, it's always useful to have two sets of eyes than two sets of eyes working on the project.  It will also free you up to look at the design from the outside in, and invest the time savings in other important functions of the Website.