Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How long does it take you to finish a site?
How long does it take you to design and create a logo, banner or photoshop layout on a site?

I've been a programmer for a long time, web applications mostly but I have had a designer do the art work and layout for me about 80% of the time and the other piece I was either told what to put there, or used simplistic layouts with little graphics.
I'm now getting into designing my own custom sites and working with an ecommerce site of my own. I want to do my own design but I work a full time job. The reason I state all this, is because it took me roughly 4 hours to do one banner from start (idea) to finish (creation).
This seems like a really long time to me, especially since I can whip out an enormous amount of code in that same time, probably solve an entire large rated bug or do maintenance on another site. How long does it take you guys? Does it get faster? Is that about average?
Also, while spending a minimal amount of money, is it easy to get tools that would help me spin things out faster?
I'm not looking to design anything fancy, this was just a banner with a stock image in the back, a company logo that I framed with a border, another image I cut and smoothed the edges out on and a "ribbon" in the corner that had some "discount" text on it. The image is about 450x170. 4 hours, no drawing or sketching of my own except the lines for the ribbon.

TL;DR
4 hours
Good? Bad? Average?
Will it speed up? Are there tools to speed it up? Should I just save my time and pay someone else?
Woah.. I'm only 14, I did one site comercially and some for me(obviously free Tongue). On that commercial one, i spend about 6 to 7 hours including "Ow, I don't like that, change it!". Basically, i've got an png image that was supposed to act as a background, and on that png image i've had buttons and logo too. First, i've cut some parts of that image for buttons, logo and things like that, then i coded the entire website. It was a piece of cake - some CSS and HTML(please note that i only know HTML4.1 well, not the HTML5).
What about my own website? I don't know how much time it took to finish it(obviously, it will NEVER be finished, because every time I think "Finally, finished!", someone tolds me what i could do better). I think it will be about 50-60hours(i was learning HTML and CSS during the production)(btw, i started making this website as a nine year old child xD).
I would be glad if You would like to check it out! Catch the hyperlink: http://redspl.ct8.pl/
It took me a whole day just to create a banner and logo for my personal site . still it wasint as good as i expected it to be Smile
I am Groot
Bro, It depends only on your speed. Check out mine. I've used 2.50 hours to complete . http://pgrpsamp.tk (NOT THE FORUM PART BECAUSE I'VE USED AUTO INSTALLER FOR IT).
Welcome to Hostingee.

Get your own Free SA:MP server on Hostingee.com by post2host method! Just go, register, earn points by posting and then get your own server!

I usually design the logo/banner in about an hour then take the other 2 hours trying to decide if I want it centered, to the left, to the right, etc. Then, I usually take a break, look at it after my break, and scrap the logo because I hate it in general.... Then the process repeats.
If you are talking about a static website implementation, well, it shouldn't take more than 2 or 3 days as long as the design work has been done for you.

When you talk about dynamic sites, well, it gets very tricky to estimate, as you'll have plenty of questions to ask such as are you using a framework such as Joomla or Aurelia and how well do you know that framework as well as its language? Then the next question is what sort of functionality are you expecting, you might say commerce, but what is it that you need the commerce site to do, i.e if there is a lot of integration happening behind the scenes, for instance Facebook integration to post that you've just purchased something, well, then I would never estimate anything less than 2 weeks, even if you happen to finish before the time.

But err, if you're talking about banner/logo design, well again, that depends on how nit picky you are, it could take you 2 weeks as well - design is very involved, in fact I'm willing to say it's a completely different job to web development. For me, I am usually happy with my first pick as I am very comfortable with what I like (I don't actually care what other people think, even though a colour I choose could blind you), I would take probably 4 hours as well, filtering through different pictures and gaining ideas, but I think a lot of professionals out there would bill you for at least 2 weeks of time.
Showing gratitude to freedomain.club by contributing in useful manners 
Depends of the site. I started web developing 8 years ago. If I need only a simple site that must do only a simple function. Like a simple calculator for example, it takes me a few hours. But if I want to develop a complex and complete website like a forum it takes me between 3-4 months.
I think I could reduce the time that it takes me but I always get distracted by video games Tongue
It usually takes me a few hours (something like 5 hrs or so) but I dont create web designs completely myself most time.
I usually search for good looking templates and modify them the way I want it to look like. My first larger website was originally a Wordpress theme, but I redesigned it over the years with something like 50-100 hours plus of work and the last state of the website didnt look like the original theme at all anymore.
Everything was to much changed..

But usually I'm too lazy to build one from scratch. Wink
with best regards,
(mit freundlichen Grüßen,)
28daniel28

"It usually takes me a few hours (something like 5 hrs or so) but I dont create web designs completely myself most time.
I usually search for good looking templates, modify them the way I want it to look like. My first larger website was originally a Wordpress theme, but I redesigned it over the years with something like 50-100 hours plus of work and the last state of the website didn't look like the original theme at all anymore.
Everything was to much changed..

But usually I'm too lazy to build one from scratch. Wink"
Yeah everybody is too lazy to do it. And to be honest you do it right! In the world of programming you are not the smartest if you write everything yourself Big Grin But yeah it is Big Grin
Usually takes me a weekend to throw together something that I would think of during the weekdays. After that, I'd take some time do stylize everything and make everything pretty as I need.