Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Create Account  

Which is your favorite programing Language?

So as a start, you've missed out on the Octave language, it's an open source variant of Matlab, offers just about all the same functionality, it's quite powerful and its free.

As I have recently started practising Data Science concepts, I am more regularly using languages like R and Octave, otherwise I've been doing coding for the last 10 years being regular Java / Ruby programmer.
Showing gratitude to freedomain.club by contributing in useful manners 

I love HTML and have been coding in it for at least a decade now but I would like to learn Python. In fact, I would like to learn a lot more coding languages but don't quite know where to start.

(This post was last modified: 06-28-2016, 07:12 PM by coral.)

(06-28-2016, 03:37 PM)128bithero Wrote: I love HTML and have been coding in it for at least a decade now but I would like to learn Python. In fact, I would like to learn a lot more coding languages but don't quite know where to start.

Perhaps due to the fact that you are coding HTML, I take it you will be doing web development. I would recommend that you start by learning some Javascript, it will allow you to play around with what you are already familiar with, HTML, so that you can make interactive components. The advantages of learning Javascript, is that you will not need to setup too much of a development environment and get familiar with things like classpaths which just stack up on the learning curve, however you will still get enough of an idea of what "real" programming is like - more from a functional point of view.

If you do take this advice, I would advise that you play around with Javascript ES5 for the moment - perhaps 2 weeks or something-, to get familiar with how it functions and the basic syntax. Fortunately for you, Javascript has just entered a revolutionary stage in terms of the language, ES6 (ECMAScript 2015), which brings in a lot of Object Oriented programming concepts - this is the paradigm that is most likely what you want to learn as it is carried between many languages. And hence, I would afterwards recommend getting familiar with ECMAScript 2015. ES6 is a bit more advanced to get familiar with at the moment as most browsers don't support the standard yet, so you will have to get familiar with transpilers to transpile your code back into the ES5 standard and that's where the learning curve is going to hit you - but as I suggested, pick up the basic ECMAScript 5 that is readily available in your browser such as Firefox / Chrome (Chrome has some nice development tools, I haven't used firefox in a while), you can open up the development console in the browser and start writing code - it's that easy. Write a few functions and play around with variables, and if you are really keen you can learn how to make classes though that is an advanced topic in Javascript ES5 - In ES6 it becomes a matter of syntax.

Do not be afraid that you are learning something that is unusable in the later version of the standard (ES6) as everything in ES6 is backward compatible in terms of syntax, in other words, everything you learn in ES5 can be used in ES6.

There is a lot you can do with Javascript and as you get more familiar with the language you can do more and more, including serverside scripting or desktop applications using NodeJS.

Once you are extremely familiar with the concepts in programming, you coiuld pick up another language such as Python - or I'd rather recommend Ruby.

Just my take on it :-)

Good luck and have fun ;-)
Showing gratitude to freedomain.club by contributing in useful manners 

(06-28-2016, 07:04 PM)coral Wrote: If you do take this advice, I would advise that you play around with Javascript ES5 for the moment - perhaps 2 weeks or something-, to get familiar with how it functions and the basic syntax. 

Thanks for the good advice. I'll do some research on that today. You were right about me doing web design. I've played around with HTML off and on for about a decade but went into freelance web design a year ago. I hated it though and quickly got out of it. Hah. But it did make me learn HTML5 and CSS3. Just before I stopped looking for more work, I was experimenting with jquery, but I was sort of just copying and pasting. I understood how to read it, but really couldn't write something from scratch like I could with HTML. 

I guess my story is similar to a lot of web design coding stories Wink .

Anyway, thank you for the good advice!

(02-21-2016, 09:48 AM)Tornado Wrote: Which is your favorite programing Language?

1. C
  2. C#
  3. Ojective C
  4. Objective C++
  5. C++
  6. Java
  7. Dot Net
  8. SQL
  9. Haskell
  10. Hyper Text Markup Language(HTML)
  11. JavaScript
  12. PHP
  13. Python
  14. Basic
  15. Fortran
  16. Cobol
  17. LISP
  18. Swift
  19. Cascading Style SHeet(CSS)
  20. B
  21. D
  22. E
  23. F
  24. VBA
  25. Visual Basic
  26. R
  27. Matlab
  28. Ruby
  29. Perl
  30. Ruby on Rails
  31. Scala
  32. lua
  33. Groovy
  34. Scratch
  35. Pascal
  36. Dart
  37. Go
  38. PureBasic
  39. Rust
  40. VBscript
  41. Apex
  42. Bash
  43. LabVIEW
  44. Ada
  45. Object Pascal

Any others that I missed?

I'd have to say Python for this one due to its simplicity

(This post was last modified: 10-15-2016, 12:27 PM by MrFixIt.)

(02-21-2016, 09:48 AM)Tornado Wrote: Which is your favorite programing Language?

1. C
  2. C#
  3. Ojective C
  4. Objective C++
  5. C++
  6. Java
  7. Dot Net
  8. SQL
  9. Haskell
  10. Hyper Text Markup Language(HTML)
  11. JavaScript
  12. PHP
  13. Python
  14. Basic
  15. Fortran
  16. Cobol
  17. LISP
  18. Swift
  19. Cascading Style SHeet(CSS)
  20. B
  21. D
  22. E
  23. F
  24. VBA
  25. Visual Basic
  26. R
  27. Matlab
  28. Ruby
  29. Perl
  30. Ruby on Rails
  31. Scala
  32. lua
  33. Groovy
  34. Scratch
  35. Pascal
  36. Dart
  37. Go
  38. PureBasic
  39. Rust
  40. VBscript
  41. Apex
  42. Bash
  43. LabVIEW
  44. Ada
  45. Object Pascal

Any others that I missed?

I started with C/C++ in school but really fast changed to Java and now im good with C#.
In my eyes it's one of the best and easiert to learn programming languages Smile

I started with VB.NET and then moved on to c#.
C# is the best in my preference because it helps in everyday programing a lot and most development apps are compatible with this common language.
BTW .NET is not a coding language. It is a framework which supports other codes..

Right now I have basic knowledge of HTML5, learning CSS3 and JavaScript, but after all this I want to learn PHP, LUA and Pawno. I wanna do some web developing with HTML, CSS, JavaScript and PHP, but I want to learn LUA because it's simple and I could use it with a program named Defold to make games and I want to learn Pawno, because I would like to give a try on making a nice and fun gamemode for SAMP.

(10-16-2016, 08:21 AM)Rvcboy Wrote: Right now I have basic knowledge of HTML5, learning CSS3 and JavaScript, but after all this I want to learn PHP, LUA and Pawno. I wanna do some web developing with HTML, CSS, JavaScript and PHP, but I want to learn LUA because it's simple and I could use it with a program named Defold to make games and I want to learn Pawno, because I would like to give a try on making a nice and fun gamemode for SAMP.

Well HTML is a markup language and can't be considered a programming language. The same goes for CSS.

BTW I guess you're learning pawno for you're a SAMP player, right?

I used to do it too. Big Grin
Retired scripter..

(10-16-2016, 10:00 AM)Ankon Wrote: Well HTML is a markup language and can't be considered a programming language. The same goes for CSS.

BTW I guess you're learning pawno for you're a SAMP player, right?

I used to do it too. Big Grin
Retired scripter..
Yes, I am a SAMP player