Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Freenom (Free ML/TK/GA/... Domains) WARNING
Thanks for these advice. Luckily, we can also get free domains at this site when we get the required points. So there's a backup.
For me I'll try the free domains here first, instead of going to other websites for free domains.
Hi I read right through the whole thread. It seems (from this and what I've seen elsewhere) that the free domains are really just for playing with. Does anyone have experience with paid domains from them? It says on their site that you do not "own" the free domains, but the paid ones are registered and they are in your name. 

I've had three support tickets answered promptly and efficiently so far, and had 2 .tk domains and 1 .ml work fine but obviously not much traffic. Their paid domains (.com etc) are much cheaper than elsewhere and their system is a pleasure to use. It's a shame about their behavior, but I have not seen any of it in the 3 months or so I've used them, is it possible that they have improved lately?
Thanks
Andy
Internet Freedom for groups, schools and individuals in Africa
friendsvps.org
(12-25-2016, 02:31 PM)friendsvps Wrote: Hi I read right through the whole thread. It seems (from this and what I've seen elsewhere) that the free domains are really just for playing with. Does anyone have experience with paid domains from them? It says on their site that you do not "own" the free domains, but the paid ones are registered and they are in your name. 

I've had three support tickets answered promptly and efficiently so far, and had 2 .tk domains and 1 .ml work fine but obviously not much traffic. Their paid domains (.com etc) are much cheaper than elsewhere and their system is a pleasure to use. It's a shame about their behavior, but I have not seen any of it in the 3 months or so I've used them, is it possible that they have improved lately?
Thanks
Andy

Hm... then your a lucky person to get replies from them, they almost never reply to tickets from free customers, they should just really tell them that...  For paid domains, they are cheaper in the long run, but if you want a discount on the first year, there's always some $0.99 options out there.  Some are GoDaddy (coupon for .com: cjc149s1), Name.com (coupon for .com/.net: COMNETWHOA), and 1&1 (no coupon).  Too bad they only work for the first year but you could always transfer the domain between them...
(12-26-2016, 12:22 AM)IEpicDestroyer Wrote: 1&1 (no coupon)

I don't recommend them due to the huge amount of bad reviews. Renewal fees seems to be high as well.
I recommend registering it at Godaddy then move the domain to namesilo
(12-26-2016, 09:10 AM)Conan Wrote: I don't recommend them due to the huge amount of bad reviews. Renewal fees seems to be high as well.
I recommend registering it at Godaddy then move the domain to namesilo

Thanks for the pointer, they look good. I don't relish the idea of moving constantly between sites like godaddy, heh, even one godaddy is bad enough to deal with!

Andy
friendsvps.org
thx for the information, indeed it need to take into consideration, cheers
Welp, when people mention about this, my domain gets canceled even if there is a working webserver on the domain.

Email I got:

Dear (removed),

The Freenom Review Team has visited your website today. Unfortunately
we have to say that today we cancelled your domain (removed).

The reason for the cancellation is that the website address you
used for your free domain name was not accessible or did not
follow the guidelines set in our terms and conditions.

At this stage, anyone, including yourself, is able to (re)register
the cancelled domain (removed). However, upon registration,
an actual working website is needed to complete the registration process.

We thank you for using Freenom.

Freenom Review Team

Don't we all love losing our domains?
Quixk updare re Freenom.

I had a .tk domain I had forgotten about, and today I got this email,

Dear -======

The Freenom Review Team has visited your website today.
Your domain: ----------------------

We found that the free domain name and/or the website address you used
with your free domain name was not accessible or did not follow the
guidelines set in our terms and conditions.

It may well be that you are still working on the content of your website
and/or using your domain for other means. We kindly request to start using
your new domain soon according to the terms and conditions which can be found at:
http://www.freenom.com/en/termsandconditions.html

In a few days from now we will visit your website again. To prevent domain
hijacking all domains that are not accessible or not follow the guidelines
set in our terms and conditions will be cancelled.

Alternatively, you may upgrade to a Paid Domain. Paid Domains incur a
different set of policies. For example, Paid Domains have no usage requirement.

You can upgrade using the Upgrade tab under domain management for
your domain -----------.

We thank you for using Freenom.

- So, fingers crossed that things may be changing. I think it's worth a try because if they do deliver what they say it would an amazing service. It could be that they have responded to all the criticism and changed their policies. I'll post if anything else happens.

Andy

Freenom Review Team
friendsvps.org
Sorry, just an additional note in case it sounds like I am defending them for the obvious abuses.

I'm grateful for all the info and advice posted above. It's actually more valuable to me as a "satisfied user" so far, because it makes me more cautious. Also looking into the .eu domains mentioned.
Thanks
Andy
friendsvps.org
I was first attracted by Freenom because of free domains and started using .ml domains, but Many hosts disallowed .ml domains and After some time. I found a host who accepts free tlds. Then after few months My Site Gained Some Traffic, then One day I got a mail that My domain was removed

I can't understand their reasons. After few days when I visted that (my) domain, There was a different site. Then I understood they sold my domain to another person.

They are very fraud!