Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Freenom (Free ML/TK/GA/... Domains) WARNING
Hey FDC,

I just wanted to warn you guys on Freenom.com!

They seem to be nice at the first place, but if you just get a few users visiting your site they will soon cancel your domain due to "ToS violation" or an "unused domain/website".

Today they canceled mine and sent me an email stating that it was cancelled due to the reasons above and I could just get it again if I still want it.
Looking on their website it says that my domain is now a PAID one and they want an unrealistic ammout of money for the .ML domain...

Furthermore when connecting to the website now it just opens up a website saying that the domain is parking and some other bullshit.
When looking closer to the website structure you can see scripted content being loaded from "b.rmgserving.com". Opening that website just says "Access denied." and trying to connect to the main site "rmgserving.com" shows the totally ridiculous message "COMPANY DOES NOT EXISTS".
Moreover there are many security warnings or that domain (especially the subdomain) when looking at virustotal...

Well, I asked them to refund my domain as I had a MX record connected to it and its a massive privacy "problem" and illegal, especially as the company Freenom is located in the Netherlands (EU).

Well, coming to an end: do never use Freenom for important projects and never, never, neeever ever for important mails!
I will update this thread if I got a reply of Freenom but I can already say you that the most important thing I'll do is canceling or moving all projects, mails/accounts etc from Freenom as they really disappointed me and I will never can trust them again.

I hope this can kind of help you.
But I'm sure this message wont really change anything on the way Freenom acts or how many domains are being registered at Freenom.
Anyway I just wanted to say this to anyone as I dont want to be quiet and just live with that. I think it's really incredibly outrageous.

Kind of "disclaimer": These are just my expiriences. I may only had bad luck but these words above are just my opinion.

Did you ever had such experiences with Freenom?
Or do you know another website offering free domains? (Except FDC, I need a Whois-protection for this domain as I dont want to say my real name/address on the internet in connection with my pseudonym)

Btw. if you want the domain name where I'm writing about just contact me. I just dont want to post it in public.
with best regards,
(mit freundlichen Grüßen,)
28daniel28

Welcome to the club. They cancelled all my domains out of the blue without a reason and put them to parked status with malware spreading spamvertising.

Unlike you I have not even received a mail... Or anything else.

Freenom is the biggest crap. I use http://eu.org/ and it works very well and they won't remove your domains.
Thanks for your hint on eu.org!
I already visited the website one day as some links were "purple" (clicked), but I forgot it.

I think I'll move there. Thank you! Smile

Btw for those who want to know: Trying to register a domain related to the same name, a bit different to have a temporary solution...
"At this moment we are unable to register any domains or other services in this account. Please contact support for more information. Error code 0x08823. We thank you for using Freenom."
with best regards,
28daniel28

The EU.ORG domains are great. You can use them with any DNS service you want and it has DNSSEC support. Moreover it has totally free WHOIS protection too your own domains. They actually care about privacy, too. They moved their root DNS servers out of France when France introduce the new Intelligence Bill.

It might take a while to get your domain approved (they manually approve them but it never took longer than a day for me) but they domains are great. You can get free SSL for them with StartSSL and with WoSign anyway. While this crap like .cf/.ga and et cetera are all banned.

And another great thing is that the EU.ORG domains also get indexed. Which is really good, too. If you look at the free domains from freedns.afraid.org... they don't get index/listed on Google. And Freenom domains are banned in many places due to abuse and spam.
@Danny
Search freenom here... I think there was a thread about some else having a similar experience, but I'm too tired to dredge it up from the depths (woke up 2 hours earlier than normal for my part-time job).
Questions, Comments, or Suggestions? PM me
These are the rules Please read them.
My tip jar: 1FqukbmrZf2EnnKYf3BkioWTYysqnynFWy
[Ex-Mod]
There's always problems with these freenom guys. I would never use a domains like these for serious sites and any mail addresses which is important. Having TLD is the best thing you can do. This is not the first time I heard something like that it wont be last either.
Dodgy
I do own a real Domain but that one is for private purpose only as it contains (exists of) my real name.
I want to have a domain for my online nick too and for my VPS but its hard to get one.
I'll look into EU.ORG anyway, they seem okay. Smile

@Scáth:
Sorry for not searching, but having more threads warning users on Freenom is never a bad thing I think.
And I was to angry to use the search function, I just wanted to let my words be on the screen Tongue

Edit: I just signed up for a .EU.ORG Domain using ClouDNS as a Nameserver provider. Sadly all other ones require to have an already existing domain with set up nameservers like Cloudflare etc.
Maybe I'll move over to Cloudflare after everything is confirmed and working.. Big Grin
Again: Thanks in advance!
with best regards,
28daniel28

@Danny
I agree, I'm not complaining, just saying that you aren't the first to have this issue
Questions, Comments, or Suggestions? PM me
These are the rules Please read them.
My tip jar: 1FqukbmrZf2EnnKYf3BkioWTYysqnynFWy
[Ex-Mod]
Just to let you know: even if it took a few days to get activated (~5 days) I'm very happy with my new .EU.ORG domain as it seems much more trustworthy than Freenom.
Also they do exist longer and have relatively low costs as they do not provide nameservers for you and therefore have no really high server costs. Smile

- This topic can be closed if you want.
with best regards,
28daniel28

@28daniel28 glad you got your .eu.org domain finally Smile . They are a lot better. They run their own DNS root servers for their domains but yes they do not offer hosted DNS service like Freenom did. However I doubt this is a issue. You can use Cloudflare, dns.he.net, ClouDNS and many other free 3rd party DNS providers with them. They also offer DNSSEC Smile.