Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Which languages you prefer for development?
I am learning web development since sometime and I came across various languages for web application development like PHP, Ruby, Javascript, and some more.

I would like you guys to respond on "What are the languages you people use for web development?". 

I would also like you to add some experiences, advices and comparisons related to these various languages stacks.
I have a lot of experience with:
HTML(5), CSS(3), JS and PHP.

I am learning:
AngularJS, NodeJS.
I'm Rick, programmer and Linux addict.
Nice @Rick. I also have some experience in web development. 

I have some experience with HTML(5), CSS(3), PHP and JavaScript frameworks like AngularJS and Node.js. I loved working in AngularJS and Node.js as it is a much newer technology than PHP. PHP also has very strong roots in the field of web development as you can see websites like Facebook are mostly coded in PHP, but I enjoyed a lot developing in AngularJS and Node.js. 

I would like you to share your experience with Angular and node too, like what you liked and what you disliked as compared to PHP.
I think PHP is a good start since most of the popular CMS like Wordpress, Joomla are built using that. It's pretty easy to learn too. That's server side part. These days there are plenty of other since which you might need to learn for client side. Java script, CSS and new HTML 5 etc.
Dodgy
(10-28-2015, 12:17 PM)Rick Wrote: I have a lot of experience with:
HTML(5), CSS(3), JS and PHP.

I am learning:
AngularJS, NodeJS.

(10-29-2015, 09:18 AM)iMpulse Wrote: Nice @Rick. I also have some experience in web development. 

I have some experience with HTML(5), CSS(3), PHP and JavaScript frameworks like AngularJS and Node.js. I loved working in AngularJS and Node.js as it is a much newer technology than PHP. PHP also has very strong roots in the field of web development as you can see websites like Facebook are mostly coded in PHP, but I enjoyed a lot developing in AngularJS and Node.js. 

I would like you to share your experience with Angular and node too, like what you liked and what you disliked as compared to PHP.

I really enjoy working with HTML(5), CSS(3) and JavaScript. Another great thing about node.js besides great web frameworks like AngularJS is that I can use great build tools like gulp.js and grunt to build large sites with minimal effort. JavaScript has come a long way since it's good ol' days.
I really like HTML 5 and CSS 3. I also have started using JS and its very cool
I've totally fallen in love with Python for a backend language after a lot of PHP development (Django and Flask are both great and I like the relative [relative!!]) stability of the toolchain), however I have a little bit of experience with JS on the backend and there is something very appealing about using a single language for the whole stack.

PHP definitely does work, though, and it gets a lot of work too by sheer virtue of being what the CMSs everyone knows about are built with.
I prefer to use a combination of PHP, MySql, HTML, CSS and Javascript. I think that it is because these languages are already made for web programming, while ruby and python are commonly used for programs, what makes harder to find specific tutorials for web programming. And this combination gives me almost all that I need for making all that I imagine.
I develop Java and C/C++ applications - mainly for a printer company. But, web development is really something I'd want to do. As to answer your question, I "What are the languages you people use for web development?" - You should educate yourself on and about PHP, HTML, CSS.
Cool Cammy! I've heard moving from building integrated applications for hardware manufacturers, etc to building web apps can feel like walking into anarchy since the requirements of the deployment are so different (constantly changing browsers vs pieces of hardware that are built once they're built), but it'll definitely be an enjoyable ride!

Like some people were saying above, PHP is fully ingrained in the web development world and will be useful for a long time to come (and don't get me wrong, much of my work has been in PHP and I don't think there's anything wrong with it!), but if you aren't arleady good at PHP I'd personally suggest learning something else if you're just getting into web development. Websites seem to be moving towards very light backends with a lot of code being run in the browser to give the "real time" / "single page app" experience that's currently in vogue, and while PHP can do this fine I think there have been some serious strides made, like Node with javascript everywhere and Django which can be a mini-CMS or a Rest API with very little extra 'cruft' for all the built-in functionality it provides.

Node (and Python and many other languages that are used by more 'custom' developers and less by CMSs) also have pretty spectacular toolchains (e.g. grunt/gulp that gld1982 mentioned, and the whole npm ecosystem for javascript, and pip/PyPi for Python, make so much so easy). PHP can definitely do all of this but I don't know of major advantages other than the fact that it's so ubiquitous.

@rodrigoms - that is definitely a beneift that PHP has over many other languages, it's got a huge body of very clear tutorials and articles written by the community,. There ARE plenty of awesome resources on web development with the other languages too (in particular Rails for Ruby and Django and/or Flask for Python, both of which have giant and very helpful communities. In my experience the documentation and community-created guides are more likely to be of very high quality, and written to teach how to solve a problem rather than tell you how to solve a problem.